NOTE: I am currently booking two–four months out for story consultations. For time-sensitive edits, please see my brilliant and capable associates at MS Editors. To be added to my waiting list, fill out this form for a price quote and time estimate.
Story Consultations—all genres
What it is: A Story Consultation takes your detailed synopsis or sentence outline and critiques it for storytelling. This is not an edit; it is a way to find plot holes, cut unnecessary scenes, and restructure the plot or reframe the story.
The more detailed your synopsis or sentence outline, the better. I suggest a word count of 5% your manuscript’s total word count. Include paragraph breaks for each new scene. If you have multiple POVs, note those per scene.
Plot Hole Spotter & Story Consultation
These prices apply to prose. Please see prices for comics manuscripts here.
- Total MS under 60K: $70
- Total MS 60K–80K: $90
- Total MS 80K–95K: $120
- Total MS over 95K: $150
- Zoom, Google, WebEx, etc. Story Consultation: $75 for first hour (or $125 for up to 2 hours). One hour does not include reading time. For best results, pair with a critique or Plot Hole Spotter, or book 2-3 hours to include reading time.
- Prices include responses to client questions about comments. Additional review of a revised synopsis is $35.
NOTE: I am currently booking two–four months out for story consultations. For time-sensitive edits, please see my brilliant and capable associates at MS Editors.
For Story Consultations, email querylara [at] gmail [.] com with the subject line “Story Consultation.” Include your manuscript’s total word count. I will email you a price estimate and approximate wait time.
Full Manuscript Critique
I am currently only taking full manuscript critiques for the types of manuscripts listed here and for comics.
- Age Categories: Middle grade and young adult
- Genres: Everything but horror. My favorites are historical, mystery, and light fantasy.
- Content: no sexual violence, no depicted violence against children, no POVs in the head of misogynists or racists or sociopaths.
- For genres and topics I’m especially drawn to, see my manuscript wishlist.
Don’t see your manuscript described above? See my associates at MS Editors.
What it is: A broad look at the entire novel as a whole, including a summary of repeated errors or areas needing improvements
What you get:
- One page overviewing the beginning, middle, and ending of the novel
- One page detailing setting, character development, structure, and theme
- A bulleted list of common errors, mistakes, and room for improvement
Does not include:
- A list of spelling, grammar, syntax errors
- An exhaustive list of specific changes
- Suggestions to improve writing style
When to get it: After revising your complete manuscript
How much might it cost? On average, $10 per thousand words (round up to the nearest 1,000)—click here to get started.
Optional add-on: THE BEAT SHEET, $45
(not available without Manuscript Critique)
What it is: An outline of the novel, reducing each scene or section into one sentence
When to get it: After you complete your first draft or before you write a synopsis